Monday, December 8, 2008

The Tales of Beedle the Bard


" The Tales of Beedle the Bard first appeared as a fictional book, used as a plot device, in J. K. Rowling's 2007 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the seventh and final novel of the Harry Potter series. The book is bequeathed to Hermione Granger by Albus Dumbledore, headmaster of the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It is described as a popular collection of Wizarding children's fairy tales, so that while Ron Weasley is familiar with the stories, Harry Potter and Hermione Granger had not previously heard them due to their non-magical upbringing.

The book was originally produced in a limited edition of only seven copies, each handwritten and illustrated by J. K. Rowling. One of them was offered for auction in late 2007 and was expected to sell for £50,000 ($103,000); ultimately it was bought for £1.95 million ($3.98 million) by Amazon.com, making the selling price the highest achieved at auction for a modern literary manuscript. The money earned at the auction of the book was donated to The Children's Voice charity campaign.
"

I have always been a fan of the Harry Potter series so when I saw this book being sold at http://www.powerbooks.com.ph/. I wanted my own copy! They are offering a 10% discount when payment are done in advance since the stocks will be available on December 5th. I called the store and made my reservations. I figured it's cheaper to buy at the nearest branch where I live rather buying online considering the shipping costs. Then the store sent me a text message 2 days after and informed me that I can take advantage of the online discount if I pay in advance. And that's what I did. I was so disappointed when I got my copy! The book cost me P584 (i think-discounted price- P649 original price) but it only has a few pages in it!!! I think it's less than 1/4 the thickness of Breaking Dawn. I haven't read the book, though. I'm waiting to get a hold of Deathly Hollows before I read this.
Because of this, I'm thinking of collecting the whole hardbound series....*sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...